Saturday, July 19, 2008

6 Weeks Old

This past Thursday, you were 6 weeks old. The past 6 weeks have been very eventful...full of ups and downs and I decided that I wanted to keep a journal of you and our days together. As I sit and type you are laying right next to me on the bed....asleep. You are beautiful.

This new life of ours is quite a change from our old life. Of course I wouldn't have it any other way, but I find myself sleep deprived, food deprived, and my thoughts are only for you.

I wanted to note that I am not breast feeding you. You and I were not able to make it work. While I did mourn the loss of that bond we have definitely bonded in other ways. You are getting only breastmilk though because I am expressing every ounce of milk that you drink which has been a daunting task. My days revolve around pumping milk and feeding you. I have had a couple of infections and while pumping milk is sometimes painful I only want what's best for you. A couple of weeks ago I had mastitis and had to take antibiotics to get rid of it. Because of the antibiotics I got thrush which I currently have now. Sometimes I want to give up. It's hard, it takes up a lot of time and energy, and can be quite painful at times. But then I look at your beautiful face and it's all worth it. I want you to have this part of me that God created for you to have.

Today, you and I went to your first birthday party. Our neighbor across the street turned one and invited you to his party at Overton Park. You slept the whole time...of course! You were wide awake until I put you in the car. The car always puts you to sleep. You slept for the next three hours.

Last night you went 6 hours between feedings. This is the longest you have gone so far. You ate at 8:30pm, went to sleep at 9:30pm and stayed asleep until 2:30am. You are really growing.

Some entries may be short and others long, but I want to remember these days....things that happen as you grow and my thoughts and feelings as we figure things out together. I love you sweet boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment